ADVERTISING WEEK AFRICA SET FOR 2019
Advertising Week, the world’s largest annual gathering of advertising, creative, entertainment, marketing, media and technology industry leaders, today announced an expansion to Johannesburg, South Africa. The inaugural edition of Advertising Week Africa will take place in Johannesburg October 28-31, 2019 and will be led globally by Stillwell Partners and on the ground in Africa by Republicom led by Tunji Adeyinka, Tosin Lanipekun and Eyitayo Olayemi.
The selection of Johannesburg is the culmination of more than two years of developmental work and is grounded in a strategic positioning to create and execute Africa-wide participation and presence. “From female entrepreneurs in Kenya to start ups in Ghana to a broad spectrum of digital innovation out of Nigeria, there is a unique opportunity to unite the continent and leverage our platform to tell incredible stories from all corners of Africa,” said Advertising Week CEO Matt Scheckner. “This one has a higher purpose,” he added.
Inspired by the 2018 centenary of the birth of Nelson Mandela, Advertising Week and the Nelson Mandela Foundation are partnering to create new initiatives to elevate the global conversation around uplifting those in poverty and create enhanced education and ultimately, employment pathways. “Access to education and internships which bring the digital economy to those who historically are shut out of such opportunities is a key driver of what we are doing here,” said Advertising Week President Lance Pillersdorf.
“Staging Advertising Week Africa in Johannesburg and creating dedicated outreach to extend the impact beyond the week-long event is a key pillar of our join strategy,” said Leah Knott, MMC for the City's Department of Economic Development.
Knott will be leading a dedicated effort in partnership with Mayor Mashaba, to maximize the impact of Advertising Week Africa to help drive the continued revitalization of Johannesburg City Centre, help small and medium-sized businesses navigate digital transformation and create employment opportunities for young people.
“We look forward to extending the spirit and legacy of Nelson Mandela across the globe with Advertising Week to help meet the needs of local communities,” said Yase Godlo, Foundation Manager of Mandela Day and Outreach.
“For us, Advertising Week provides a great platform to tell authentic African stories and showcase the great marketing and technology innovations and breakthroughs that has come out of Africa” said Tunji Adeyinka, Republicom Group Managing Director and Chair the Advertising Week Africa Advisory Council which Tosin Lanipekun will serve as Director. Additional members of the Advisory Council include:
- Kudzai Kanyangara, Director, ABN 360 (CNBC & Forbes Africa)
- Nkiru Olumide-Ojo, Regional Head of Marketing & Communications, Standard Bank SA
- Thabang Skwambane, CEO, FCB JHB
- Grant Jacobsen, CEO, Fox P2
- Elizma Nolte, Head, Business Marketing, Sub-Saharan Africa, Facebook
- Enver Groenwald, CMO, Unilever Africa
- Graham Cruikshanks, CEO TBWA Africa
- Wayne Naidoo, CEO, Duke
- Jerry Mpufane, Chairman, M&C SAATCHI SA
- Paul Jackson, CEO, Grey Africa
- Russell Cory, CFO, ACA
- Carl Jordan, Director, Digital Partnerships, Kwese
- Qondisa Ngwenya, CEO, ConnectLive!
- Karabo Denalane, CEO, Hunt & Lascaris
- Dawn Rowlands, CEO, Sub-Saharan Africa, Dentsu Aegis
- James Barty, CEO, King James
- Boniswa Pezisa, CEO, BBDO
- Odette Van der Haar, CEO, JWT JHB
- Gareth Leck, CEO, Joe Public
- Alistair Mokoena, CEO, Ogilvy Africa
- Mathe Okaba, CEO, ACA
- Andrea Quaye, CMO, ABInBev CMO Africa
- Mzamo Masito, CMO, Google Africa
- Faye Mfikwe, CMO, FNB
- Alex Okosi, MD, Viacom Africa
- Mike Abel, Founder, CEO, M&C Saatchi Africa
- Natasha Velen, Head of Marketing, DsTV
- Bobby Malabie, Head, Brand & Corp Relations, ABSA
- Mike Gendel, CEO, Gendel Marketing
- Andile Shongwe, CEO, GradesandLevelsSA
- Ron Kunene, MD, Fortune Empire
Republicom is a group of six market-leading companies working together to deliver 360-degree integrated marketing, advertising and creative services to our partners and clients. We represent a new way of thinking; helping our clients compete and outpace competition by providing strategic and wholistic marketing solutions across multiple platforms. The company is based in Nigeria and works across the African continent and Europe. Agencies under Republicom group include; Redwood Consulting, Neukleos, Image & Time, Connect Marketing, Integral, And Quore Media.